Dear Members of the Orting Community,
I hope you enjoyed summer with your families and that you are excited to begin a new school year. I am writing to welcome you back as well as share some celebrations in our schools that we believe will better prepare all students for college, careers, and life.
Orting High School
The Cardinals have a school wide focus on literacy and reading across content areas from photography to sports medicine. The focus on reading instruction has paid off with all graduates from the class of 2015 passing state assessments in reading and math. In addition:
· Twelve students were designated Advanced Placement Scholars
· School earned a 3rd consecutive School of Distinction Award and 4th consecutive Washington Achievement Award
Orting Middle School
By adding a counselor and focusing on prevention, OMS had the lowest rate of reported fighting, bullying, intimidation, and harassment in more than five years. They also created time in the school day for kids to get extra help or challenge. Additionally:
· Student performance was rated as “high” or “highest” in science, reading, and writing
· Doubled the number of computers for student use and offering courses in robotics and computer game programming
Ptarmigan Ridge Elementary School
In addition to a successful restructuring of the school to a K-5, Ptarmigan implemented several new programs in third grade reading, highly capable and summer school. The school also implemented the new Smarter Balanced Assessments with strong results including:
· Third and fourth graders are at or above state standard for the first time in six years
· Math scores improved and students maintained achievement levels as they progressed to fourth grade
Orting Primary School
The school has built interventions for all first and second grade students in reading and math focused on the individual growth for each student. In addition, the enrollment at the school has increased, resulting in the following:
· Added positions in kindergarten, first and second grade
· Created a K-2 self-contained classroom
The district is working hard to provide effective and efficient service from the central office. We’ve saved tax payers $600,000 by refinancing our bonds and we started a highly capable program.
We are grateful for your support and value your partnership in making our schools great! If you have any questions about any of these initiatives, we encourage you to talk with your teachers and school leaders. Thank you for all you do to support Orting students and their educational journey. Have a great school year!Sincerely,
Orting School District
“Teachers teach because they care. Teaching young people is what they do best.
It requires long hours, patience, and care.”