Delivery of yearbooks across the US are delayed because of the pandemic.Projected delivery for OHS books is late August but we will send out notifications once we have additional information.
OHS 2020 Graduation/Senior Details & FAQs
The following is a schedule of celebrations to honor our Orting High School 2020 seniors! We know that some of the regulations of events are not ideal but we have tried our best to plan events that honor your seniors while following the state guidelines. If you would like to view the full guidelines please click here; we are doing a hybrid of #5 & #7. According to the Washington State Department of Health and OSPI guidelines the following guidelines must be followed to stay compliant.
- 1 car per graduate family, no oversized, commercial vehicles or RVs (we will be driving on our track and under some decorative archways)
- Families and seniors are required to remain in their cars during the ceremony processional. Only your senior will leave the car during their turn to walk across the stage.
- We will be outside and socially distant, but if you feel more comfortable wearing PPEs please bring them with you.
- We ask that families and seniors respect social distance guidelines while out of their car at the appropriate stops.
- Stay in your cars and tune it to the live link to watch the ceremony proceedings; programs will be handed out when you arrive.
Senior Events & Graduation Schedule
Senior Scholarship & Awards Virtual Presentation
Premieres Wednesday June 3rd, 7:00pm. Please go to Orting High School Cardinals Facebook page to view.
June 4th & 5th
Senior Book/Class Supply/Chromebook Return, Honor Cord & Scholarship Pickup, Athletic Gear Return, Student Account Payments (All fines/Supplies must be paid/returned to receive diploma certificate after graduation)
10am-11am-Last Name A-H
11am-12pm-Last Name K-P
12pm-1pm-Last Name Q-Z
2pm-3pm-Last Name A-H
3pm-4pm-Last Name K-P
4pm-5pm-Last Name Q-Z
June 11th, 2020 3:00-7:00pm
OHS Drive-Through/Virtual Graduation
In order to control traffic and wait time, students will be assigned an arrival time based on their LAST name. You may show up anytime during this time slot with what works for your family. Only cars with current graduates will be allowed entry.
View the Google Earth Presentation for the route of graduation HERE!
- Please arrive during your scheduled time and enter PTR main parking lot from the highway.
- Follow the traffic guides of staff or markings.
- Once you enter the stadium your senior will exit the car and be guided to a social distant marker.
- Families will proceed onto the track and wait as their student is announced and presented their diploma cover.
- Graduates will pause on stage for a professional picture (provided free-of-charge from Orting High School).
- Graduates and families will reunite at the emergency exit and graduates will re-enter their car.
- After exiting the stadium, families are encouraged to drive to the PTR bus turnaround for fun and professional pictures with their family and to pick up their diploma certificate.
- Once the diploma is received then please exit the PTR facility. No gathering outside with other families.
- Graduation car parade staging starts at 7:00pm at OMS parking lot, parade starts immediately following ceremony at approximately 7:15pm. Parade route will follow the homecoming parade route.
June 15th & 16th 12-3:00pm
Gym locker clean out.
Q: Why only 1 car? We have a divorced family and don’t live together.
A: The state has regulated the 1 car per family guidelines and it states,
“Drive-in- Only students, and only their immediate family members who are staying at home together and who are not sick, may arrive in the same vehicle.” We understand and empathize each family has unique situations; please make personal accommodations for what works for your family. Again, this is not a local decision of the Orting School District.
Q: How can our family and friends watch graduation?
A: Graduation will be presented live on facebook. Please let all those who could not physically attend know to go to Orting High School Cardinal Facebook so they can watch the proceedings.
Q: How can my senior walk with their friend/walking partner?
A: Students must arrive during their scheduled time based on their last name. They will be kept the suggested 6’ apart once in the stadium and allowed to leave their car.
Q: What kind of car can we bring?
A: No commercial or oversized vehicles will be allowed. No RV’s or trailers.
Q: Can we decorate our cars?
A: YES! There will be a graduate parade through Orting following the graduation ceremony, starting at 7pm. Please decorate your cars to celebrate your seniors!
Q: Can we have people ride in the back of a truck bed?
A: As a school we will not be regulating where/how people are sitting in your personal vehicle. The liability and safety of the passengers is on the operator of the vehicle and their private insurer. Please be safe.
Q: I have a lifted truck or large van, can I get under the arches?
A: The arches will accommodate vehicles 10’ high x 9’ wide.
Q: What if I can’t or don’t want to participate on the 11th?
A: Diplomas may be picked up in the OHS Main Office on the 12th from 8am-12pm.
We are so saddened and disappointed that we will not be ending this school year in the traditional way - but please remember that the school year is not over and we WILL keep the Cardinal spirit alive and our students engaged in learning. We are sure you have a lot of questions, and while we don't have all the answers yet, please take a moment to review this COVID-19 FAQ document that might answer some of your important questions! We will keep you informed as we adjust and plan in this new learning environment!
OHS IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Pennant Pictures: Class of 2020, we are still posting your pennant pictures to social media! If yours isn’t yet posted, please email a picture of you holding the pennant or the acceptance letter of the college/institution you plan to attend this fall to email@example.com – this can be any college, military branch or apprenticeship you plan to pursue after high school. Let’s keep this tradition going!
Google Classroom for Potential Running Start Students: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org previously indicated an interest in Running Start so you can be added to the Google Classroom. There, you'll find a video orientation in the announcements, the OHS Running Start Handbook (which you must read), and the Running Start Participation form which must be on file if you’ve been accepted into the RS program.
ACT and Collge Board Testing
ACT has rescheduled its April 4 national test date to June 13 across the U.S. in response to concerns about the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), All students registered for the April 4 test date will receive an email from ACT in the next few days informing them of the postponement and instructions for free rescheduleding to June 13 or a future date national test date.
Collge Board has cancelled the May 2 test date. Students can register for the June 6 test date or received a refund of their testing fees. The August test date may also be available. If you used a fee wiaver, then you must contact SAT customer servcie to reschedule your test Their number is 866.630.9305.
Orting High School Cardinals and Families,
What a week we have had! As a village, we are in a completely different place today than we were last week, with changes still occurring daily. As you know, we have completely closed our facility to students and staff due to the COVID-19 outbreak. We know that we will not see students before April 27th, and possibly beyond. If ever we have ever needed a village to come together it is now. It is imperative that all students continue to pursue an education. We know that having large gaps in learning has long-term implications for young people. You will begin to see communications, through email, to your families from your student’s teacher concerning learning opportunities. Please engage with your students in discussions around these opportunities. Contact your school counselors (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are unable to access any work that the teachers provide you. We know many of your families are experiencing some serious hardships. This work is not required, but it is provided as a resource for your family when the time is appropriate for you. Currently, this work is not graded, but it is provided for the enrichment, reteaching, and extension of the classroom work. This may change in upcoming weeks, pending decisions by our government and the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI). Although families may choose, at this time, not to engage, we highly recommend that you require your child to continue to pursue their education.
Please reach out to me or Assistant Principal Carlson with any questions or concerns. We are here to help you and your family in a very difficult time for us all. We are both educators and parents in this community and will be navigating these times alongside our village.
Cliff Fries/Matt Carlson
Orting High School
PIERCE COUNTY SKILLS CENTER STUDENTS: PLEASE READ
We want to share some important information from Pierce County Skills Center:
Thank you so much for your patience as we navigate how we can continue to provide meaningful learning opportunities during this time. PCSC classes definitely pose a unique challenge - our primary focus is designing activities/assignments that directly align with your industry certifications and/or dual credit. Our teachers are using this week to create online resources and learning new technology & platforms to help keep you connected.
A few reminders:
1. Please keep in mind that this is a very fluid situation and it's changing on a regular basis. We will do our best to continue to provide you with accurate information and updates.
2. You should receive initial information from your teacher by Monday - if by Tuesday morning you have not please email your teacher directly with an updated email address, or if you don't have access to your teacher's email, email email@example.com and include your full name and updated email address.
3. Teachers will be using a variety of platforms and resources that best fit with their program.
4. Whether it is email, or another platform your teacher is using, please make sure you are checking in on a daily basis.
5. The probability of earning dual credit and certifications is directly connected to successfully completing/participating in the activities provided by your teacher.
Most importantly, please let us know if you are having issues that impact your ability to access or complete assignments. We are here to help!!