Too Sick for School?
Send your child to school if...
- They have a runny nose of just a little cough, but no other symptoms
- They haven't taken fever reducing medicine for 24 hours, and haven't had a fever during that time
- They haven't thrown up or had any diarrhea for 24 hours
- They don't feel great, but have no other significant symptoms. They didn't sleep well, and are kind of tired.
Keep your child home if...
- They have a temperature greater than 100.4 F even after taking medicine.
- They throw up two or more times in 24 hours.
- They have diarrhea - three or more watery stools in 24 hours.
- Their eyes are pink and crusty.
- They have a persistent cough and/or green nasal discharge.
- They have a diagnosed contagious illness.
Call the doctor if...
- They have a temperature greater than 100.4 F for more than two days.
- They throw up or have diarrhea for more than two days.
- They've had the sniffles for more than a week, and they aren't getting any better.
- They still have asthma symptoms after using asthma medicine (and call 911 if they have trouble breathing using an inhaler).