Dear Orting students, parents/guardians, staff, and community members,
I am both honored and excited to serve as the Superintendent of the Orting School District. The Orting School District and the Orting community are near and dear to my heart. This district and community have much to offer in the way of personal relationships, amazing care for one another, a sense of community, and tremendous support for one another. I have benefited personally and professionally from these and other values this community has to offer and I look forward to using these strengths to help our school system continue to grow and improve for years to come. This is a great place to be!
I have had the pleasure of working in public education for more than 20 years. I was a middle school teacher, coach, and athletic/activity advisor. I have been a middle school and high school assistant principal and I served as the Orting High School principal for four years. I have six years of central office experience in the Orting and Enumclaw school districts focused on teaching and learning and business and operations. My wife Kim teaches Spanish at Enumclaw High School and I have two boys. My oldest, Hunter, attends the University of Washington and studies Electrical Engineering. My youngest, Jacob, recently graduated and is attending Washington State University. Recreationally, I enjoy hiking, mountaineering, diving, and other outdoor activities.
The Board of Directors has charged me with three primary tasks and I remain vigilant in keeping this work in the forefront through innovative, collaborative, intentional work:
- Work collaboratively to improve student learning outcomes;
- Set the Orting School District up for success in planning and preparing for growth, and;
- Maintain ongoing engagement and communication with the community through a lens of accountability, collaboration, and transparency.
As a District we strive to empower students in their learning and build a learning environment where each student is able to thrive. We know that each student needs varying degrees of support along the way and our constant vision is to lead with these core values:
- Equity - embracing diversity and inclusionary practice to ensure our system remains open, accessible, safe and welcoming for all students, staff and families.
- Collaboration - working together in an open, honest and transparent manner to ensure the success of each student.
- Core instruction - ensuring each student has access to rigorous core instruction and providing rich professional development, training and support.
- Visibility - show through our presence and actions that we value the contributions of others and celebrate the difference each of us makes for students.
- Voice - providing stakeholders with regular opportunities to have their voice heard so that we can empower others and better respond to challenges we face.
This is a unique time and opportunity for the Orting School District. We have the gift of having a strong community with amazing support. At the same time, we have the opportunity to welcome new students and families to the Orting School District as the community and district continues to grow. We want to honor and celebrate who we are while also thinking strategically about who we can become. Your voice and input in this process will help to ensure we are working together to ensure each student thrives...Every Student, Every Day!
Thank you for your collaboration, trust and input as we work together to chart the future of the Orting School District. It is an exciting time to be a part of the Orting School District!
William (Ed) Hatzenbeler
Orting School District