Welcome to the Counseling Center
We are committed to delivering comprehensive guidance to all students in the areas of academic, personal/social and career planning. If you are unable to find what you are looking for, don't hesitate to call. We look forward to working with you during the school year.
This year, OHS offered a virtual Financial Aid event - this presentation included information about all types of financial aid, including scholarships! Here is the link to the recorded meeting, along with the PDF version of the slideshow (links within the slides are live).
Remember, the Financial Aid Advising session is a state graduation requirement; you can either watch the video, or attend one of the state’s FA Advising Day virtual sessions!
Questions, email Nelson.
Air transportation careers in demand at McChord - check out their video and website to apply!
In addition to all work related training, kids are still eligible for educational assistance:
Automatic enrollment in a regionally accredited degree program, Community College of the Air Force
- 100% Tuition Assistance covering up to $4,500 every year to any college
- Guaranteed access to the Montgomery GI Bill-SR from the VA
The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) opens each year on October 1st! If you are planning to attend college or a trade school, it is vital that you complete the FAFSA. Ms. Nelson has created a Section-by-Section FAFSA Tutorialto help with the process. Check it out! And as always, if you need help with the FAFSA, please reach out to Ms. Nelson.
Are you a senior with a 3.5 GPA, who's taken a standardized test (PSAT/NMSQT, SAT, and/or ACT) and scored in the 90th percentile or higher – 1310+ on the SAT, 1270+ on the PSAT, or 28+ on the ACT, and finally is your family income < $80,000/year? If so, you may qualify for College Point Advising Services - a free service from College Board!
Their advisors will help with:
- Creating a college list and introducing students to great colleges they may not have considered
- Writing a personal statement and editing essays
- Accessing financial aid and searching for scholarships
- Talking with students about what it’s like to leave home and live in a dorm
- Analyzing financial aid award letters and making a college decision
- Preparing for the transition to college
- Answering any college application questions that are stressing students out
Phone: (360) 893-2246
Fax: (360) 893-2434
Shelly Smith (A-G)
(360) 893-2246 x4375
Anna Hager (H-M)
NOTE! Ms Hager will be the counselor for students L-Z until Mrs. Reyes returns!!!
(360) 893-2246 x4365
Maria Reyes-Cruz (N-Z) - out on maternity leave until January.
(360) 893 2246 x4374
(360) 893-2246 x4385
You can also book an appointment see Ms. Nelson's calendar (remember to choose Pacific time!!!)
(360) 893-2246 x4376